2 (10 ounce) bags
fresh spinach, washed
( I prefer baby spinach leaves)
chopped sweet onion
( such as Vidalia or Wala Walla)
freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
( to taste)
reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Rinse off spinach well and shake to dry, but there should be some water still on the leaves (this residual water will help steam the spinach).
- Remove any tough stems from the spinach, then place spinach leaves into a large saucepan, cover, and cook over medium heat just until wilted- approximately 4 minutes, checking once halfway through to flip the leaves over to ensure even cooking.
- Have ready a mesh strainer, so that as soon as the spinach leaves have wilted, you can strain them over the sink, while running cold water over them to prevent overcooking.
- Make sure the spinach is cooled down very well from the water, then set aside to drain.
- Mix together onion, spices,salt,chicken broth,and cream in a small pan.
- Bring to a boil (uncovered) over medium heat and let reduce to about 3/4 cup, this will take some time- approximately 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally and adjusting heat as needed to keep from burning.
- Meanwhile, squeeze the spinach dry using your hands- get out all the excess liquid you can.
- Chop spinach coarsely and then add to the reduced cream mixture.
- Taste and season to taste.
- If making this in advance, cover and chill then reheat in a saucepan until bubbling, stirring, for about 4 minutes or until warmed through.