1 (28 ounce) jars
2 diced apples or 1/2 cup
onion, finely chopped
3 -4 tablespoons brown sugar or 3 -4 tablespoons
1 tablespoon lard or 1 tablespoon
- Drain the sauerkraut only if it is too salty, otherwise use it with its own liquid.
- Heat the lard in a large saucepan.
- Take a handful of the sauerkraut and squeeze it dry.
- Put it in the hot lard and fry it until the sauerkraut has brown edges.
- Add the sauerkraut, apples, bay leaf, onion (if using), caraway seeds and 2 tablespoons of brown sugar.
- Add water to just barely cover the sauerkraut.
- Bring to a boil; lower the heat and simmer for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add more sugar, if needed, gradually while the sauerkraut is cooking, tasting often.
- The sauerkraut should be pleasantly sweet-sour but not too sweet.