garlic clove, minced
1 (8 ounce) cans
crushed red pepper flakes
chopped fresh cilantro
Taco Shells and Garnishes
grated sharp cheddar cheese
2 cups shredded romaine lettuce or 2 cups
red leaf lettuce
thinly sliced scallion
black olives, sliced
bottled hot sauce or taco sauce or
- Heat the oil in a large skillet.
- Saute the onion and garlic over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Add the ground turkey and cook, stirring and breaking up the clumps of meat, until the meat has lost its pink color, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cumin and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomato sauce and water and simmer, partially covered, over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Raise the heat to medium, uncover the skillet, and simmer for 5 minutes more, or until mixture is quite thick but not dry.
- Stir in the crushed red pepper and cilantro and add salt to taste.
- While turkey mixture is cooking, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and arrange taco shells on a baking sheet.
- Prepare grated cheese, lettuce, scallions, and olives and put them into individual bowls.
- When turkey mixture is almost done, heat taco shells in preheated oven for 5 minutes or so.
- When turkey mixture and taco shells are done, each person can spoon some turkey mixture into the bottom of the half-moon-shaped taco shells and add toppings of choice.
- Finish with a sprinkle of hot sauce, taco sauce or salsa.
- Note: Turkey filling can be made ahead and will keep in the refrigerator for a few days.