dry active yeast
( DO NOT use oil)
2 1/2-3 cups
2 1/2 cups
sifted powdered sugar
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes.
- Add buttermilk, shortening, sugar and 1 1/2 cup flour, baking powder and salt; mix well.
- Add enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead several times.
- Roll dough to 1/2 inch thick and cut with a 2 1/2 inch doughnut cutter.
- Place doughnuts on lightly floured surface, cover and let rise 45 minutes or until double in bulk.
- Heat 2-3 inches of oil to 375°F.
- (I use my Fry Daddy) Drop in 4 or 5 doughnuts at a time.
- Cook about 2 minutes or until lightly golden in color, turning once.
- Drain well on paper towels.
- Combine 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar with 1/4 cup milk, stir until smooth.
- Dip each doughnut in glaze while still warm; allow excess glaze to drip off.
- Cool on wire rack or serve warm.