For The Pie Crust
ice cold water
( more if needed)
For The Pie Filling
5 -6 large
mcintosh apples, peeled and sliced.
( or Jonathan, Winesap, Rome or Granny Smith Apples)
For The Topping
- For The Pie Crust: Before making the pie crust, put mixing bowl, utensils and rolling pin (if made of marble) in freezer beforehand for best results.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Blend flour, salt and shortening with a fork.
- Add water until a good consistency of dough is formed.
- Roll out with a rolling pin and place in 9 in pie plate (deep dish).
- Bake for 10 to 12 mins.
- For The Pie Filling: Preheat Oven to 425 degrees.
- Combine sugar, flour, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Stir into apple slices.
- Combine topping ingredients until coarsely mixed.
- Spread topping across apple slices.
- I usually place teaspoonful amounts scattered across the top of the pie filling as thats what it looked like in the picture.
- Place pie in large brown paper grocery sack.
- I usually fold the top edges down once and then use three paper clips to keep the fold in place and the heat in.
- Put entire bag on a cookie sheet.
- Make sure that the bag is not touching top or sides of oven.
- Bake for one hour at 425 degrees.