tart apples, peeled, thinly sliced
lemon, juice of
frozen puff pastry, thawed
( 1 sheet)
Nutmeg Scented Orange Custard
egg yolks, room temperature
vanilla extract, pure
orange, grated rind
nutmeg, freshly grated
- Nutmeg Scented Orange Custard: In small pan, scald milk, remove from heat, set aside.
- Over double broiler beat egg yolks and sugar until thick. Add milk in slowly. Cook over simmering water, whisking constantly for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla, orange rind and nutmeg. Place a piece of plastic wrap over custard to prevent a skin from forming, cool and chill. Custard may be served warm or cold.
- Apple Tartlet: Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place thinly sliced apples in small bowl and toss with lemon juice and 2 tsps sugar.
- On lightly floured board lay out the puff pastry. Cut out 4 circles 5" in diameter. Sprinkle the baking sheet with water and place the pastry circles on sheet.
- Brush the circles with butter and sprinkle with the remaining 1 tsp sugar. Place the apples over the circle in a pinwheel type pattern, remembering to leave a 1/4" border of uncovered pastry all around. Drizzle remaining butter over the apples.
- Bake the tarts for 10 minutes.
- Spoon custard sauce onto dessert plate and place a warm tart in the center, spoon a tsp of sauce over apple tart as well.