firmly packed brown sugar
coarsely chopped pecans, toasted.
1 1/2 cups
1 1/2 teaspoons
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line the bottom of a 9-inch square pan with parchment paper.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the brown sugar and whisk until smooth.
- Pour the brown sugar into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cranberries and pecans; place them in the pan over the brown sugar mixture.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, pumpkin puree, and oil.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Stir the flour mixture into the pumpkin mixture.
- Carefully spread the batter over the cranberry pecan topping.
- Bake the cake until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack.
- Place a large plate or platter on top of the cake.
- Invert the cake and plate together, then remove the pan.
- Carefully peel off the parchment paper.
- Let cool completely before serving.
- Serve with Chantilly Cream, optionally.
- For Chantilly Cream: Whisk the cream, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl until soft peaks form.
- The cream should hold its shape but still be satiny in appearance.
- It should never be grainy.