1 1/2 cups
1 1/2 teaspoons
bicarbonate of soda
1 1/4 cups caster sugar or 1 1/4 cups
( I use either or half of each)
185 g butter or 185 g
( melted and cooled)
eggs, lightly beaten
- Add the vinegar to the milk and set aside after stirring till the milk curdles (should not take more than 5-10 mins) Sift the flour, salt, cocoa, caster sugar (if using) and soda together into a mixing bowl.
- If using the brown sugar, I add it to the butter while melting it and then cream till mixed.
- Pour in the melted butter and half the soured milk into the dry mix.
- Beat well for 2 mins.
- Add the essence and the rest of the soured milk.
- Add the eggs and mix for another 2 mins.
- Pour mixture into a baking pan and bake in a preheated oven at 180C for 30-35 mins till a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 5 mins and then remove to cool on a rack.
- When cool either cut the cake through and fill with cream and fruits (strawberry is lovely) (or you can use sandwich cake tins while baking) or just top with cream and fruit.
- I moisten this cake too usually with a little sugar dissolved in a mixture of 2 tblsp of rum and 3-4 tblsp of water.
- Drizzle this over the cake(both the parts if you have divided them). If you want it moister then drizzle some more ;).
- Then fill.