1 1/2 lbs
lean ground beef
finely chopped onion
1 1/4 cups
3 tablespoons margarine or 3 tablespoons
( I use garlic powder though, and extra of it)
( skim is fine)
instant mashed potatoes
shredded cheddar cheese, divided in half
green onions, sliced
( or you can use white onion)
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine ground beef, breadcrumbs, onion, ketchup, mustard and salt and mix well.
- Press hamburger mixture in bottom and up sides of an ungreased 9 inch pie pan to cover completely.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- While meat mixture is baking, cook bacon until crisp.
- Drain on paper towel, cool, and crumble.
- Discard bacon drippings or save for another recipe.
- In a medium sauce pan, combine water, margarine and garlic salt.
- Bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and add milk.
- With a fork, stir in potato flakes.
- Then stir in 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese.
- Remove partially baked"crust" from oven, pour off any fat.
- Spoon potato mixture into crust evenly.
- Return to oven for another 10-15 minutes or until meat is thoroughly cooked, and potatoes are heated through.
- Remove pie from oven.
- Top with tomato, remaining cheese and crumbled bacon.
- Return to oven, and bake for 5 minutes longer, until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven, top with green onions.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.