2 tablespoons Crisco or 2 tablespoons
other vegetable shortening
pickled jalapeno peppers, stemmed, drained and chopped
1 1/2 cups
- Preheat oven to 425-degrees F.
- Fry bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp (10-15 minutes).
- Transfer bacon to paper towels to drain.
- Crumble bacon and set aside.
- Pour bacon fat into a bowl and set aside.
- Melt Crisco and 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat together in the same skillet over medium heat.
- Grease a muffin tin with remaining bacon grease and transfer to oven so muffin tin will be hot.
- In a large bowl beat eggs.
- Add bacon, onions, jalapenos, pickling juice, sugar, baking soda, salt, cumin and pepper and stir well to combine.
- Add cornmeal and buttermilk and stir to combine.
- Add the hot fat (from the skillet) and stir until combined.
- Remove muffin tin from oven.
- Pour batter into muffin tins.
- Bake or 15-20 minutes or until done and toothpick comes clean.