1 1/2 tablespoons
shallots, cleaned and peeled.
( small red onions called sambar onions in india)
chopped into big chunks vegetables, of choice
( brinjals, carrots, french beans, pumpkin, yam)
( lemon sized ball of tamarind soaked in 1/3 cup of water.)
1 1/2 teaspoons jaggery or 1 1/2 teaspoons
brown sugar, can be substituted i guess
- Cook the tuvar dal till tender then mash.
- Heat 1 tblsp oil in a heavy bottomed pan and roast the fenugreek seeds till light red, then add 1/2 tsp urad dal and let it saute till they change colour too.
- Add the red chilli and coriander seeds.
- Add a 3 sprigs of curry leaves and the grated coconut and roast.
- They should all turn light brown and aromatic.
- Cool and grind to a fine paste with a little water.
- Heat 1 tblsp oil in a pan.
- Add the mustard seed.
- When they splutter add 1/2 tsp of urad dal and the hing.
- Fry for a minute.
- Add the onions and green chillies, slit and the rest of the curry leaves.
- Add your choice of vegetables Fry till you get a nice aroma.
- Add a little water.
- Cover and cook till the veges are done.
- Extract pulp from the tamarind and add to the vegetables.
- Add salt and crumbled jaggery (you can use brown sugar i think instead) and cook till the raw smell of the tamarind disappears.
- Add the mashed dal and the ground masala.
- Mix weel and add a little water if reqd.
- Simmer for a few mins.
- Serve with dosas, idlis or rice.
- And enjoy.