good quality pork sausage links
onion, thinly sliced
250 g small cremini mushrooms or 250 g
cooking apple, peeled, cored and cut into small chunks
chopped fresh sage
300 ml vegetable stock or 300 ml
whole grain mustard
1 (142 ml) cartons
- Heat the oil in a large casserole dish or deep sided frying pan.
- Gently fry the sausages until they are golden brown all over; then remove from the casserole.
- Add the onion and saute until it softens and becomes nicely golden.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Stir in the apple chunks, bay leaf, sage and stock.
- Bring to the boil, then return the sausages to the casserole.
- Reduce the heat, cover with a lid and gently cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- The apple pieces should break down and thicken the stock slightly.
- If they are still holding their shape, mash them with the back of a wooden spoon and stir in .
- Mix the mustards into the cream and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour into the casserole and increase the heat.
- Leave the lid off and simmer for about 5 minutes until the sauce has thickened slightly.
- Serve with a big bowl of creamy mashed potato or golden saute potatoes and green vegetables such as green beans, wilted spinach, broccoli or peas.