1 (2 1/2 ounce) packages
blanched slivered almonds, pulverized in a blender
TOPPING AND DECORATION
semi-sweet chocolate chips
( 6 ounces)
grated fresh lemon rind
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper or grease and flour it.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg white until foamy; add the sugar, and beat until mixture holds soft peaks.
- Fold in the pulverized almonds, cornstarch, and almond extract.
- Spoon into 12 mounds evenly spaced on the prepared baking sheet, allowing plenty of space between them.
- Bake until top is dry and cakes are a creamy color, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from sheet and cool on rack.
- Melt 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips in a small bowl over hot water.
- Melt the butter in another pan.
- Whip the egg with the lemon rind, sugar, and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Mix the COOLED chocolate and butter together and add the egg mixture.
- When this has thickened, spread it over the base of the cakes, allowing the mixture to set.
- Melt the remaining chocolate and pour over the firm chocolate layer.
- Decorate each cake with an almond.
- Makes 12 cakes.
- The Great Scandinavian Baking Book…-- Beatrice Ojakangas.