1 1/2 cups
1 tablespoon melted butter or 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon
cooked whole kernel corn
( can use up to 2 cups if desired)
( for deep frying, see note)
confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Beat the egg, milk and sugar together.
- Sift the dry ingredients and add to the egg mixture.
- (If using sifted flour, you can just mix the dry ingredients together well and still get excellent results).
- Add the melted butter or margarine (or oil) and beat or stir briskly by hand until well blended.
- Stir or fold in the corn until evenly distributed.
- Drop by tablespoons into hot deep fat (375 degrees) and cook until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Place on plates and dust with confectioner's sugar if desired. These are best if served with maple syrup.
- Notes: I usually try one first.
- If I find the oil is bubbling through the fritter, which would make it too greasy, I'll add a little more flour to the batter to prevent that.
- Also, as a shortcut, instead of deep frying, I usually pour 2 or 3 inches of oil into a large saucepan or electric frying pan and fry that way.
- When one side is brown, I just turn and brown the other side.