900 g kingfish or 900 g
( the original recipe says 9 tblsp)
2 1/2 teaspoons
cumin powder, divided
( The recipe says 1 14 oz can for those who use canned tomatoes -For me the fresh ones do fine)
green chilies, chopped
- Wash and dry the fish slices.
- Marinate the fish with the salt, turmeric and chilli powder for 1/2 an hour.
- Heat 2 tbslp oil over medium heat and when hot put in the fennel and mustard seeds As soon as the mustard seeds pop add the onions and garlic and ginger root Saute until the onions are light brown.
- Then add the 2 tsps of cumin and the green chilli.
- Stir and then add the tomatoes (and their liquid- for canned tomatoes), the rest of the cumin and the garam masala.
- Boil and then simmer covered for 15 mins on low.
- Pre heat oven to 180C Heat a little more oil in a non stick and when hot put in the fish slices and just brown all the steaks on both sides.
- Put the fish in a baking dish.
- Now just pour the sauce over and bake uncovered for 15 mins or until the fish is cooked.