oranges, peeled and cut into segments
2 -3 tablespoons
thinly sliced red onions
garlic, thinly sliced
1 (14 1/2 ounce) cans
diced tomatoes with juice
dry white wine
( can use 1 cup wine and leave out clam juice)
kalamata olive, pitted and sliced
salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 1/2 lbs
firm white fish fillets, rinsed and pat dry
( halibut, cod, turbot, or haddock work very well here)
drained feta cheese, thinly sliced
fresh chives, chopped,for garnish
- Heat olive oil over medium high heat in a large skillet.
- Add onions and garlic and sauté until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, clam juice and wine and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, and simmer for about 3-4 minutes.
- Carefully add the orange segments and olives.
- Taste sauce, and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Season fish fillets with salt and pepper, and arrange them in a single layer in the skillet on top of the vegetable mixture.
- Cover and simmer gently until fish is cooked through and turns bright white, about 12 minutes.
- Spoon the vegetables into shallow bowls and top with a fish fillet.
- If using, place feta cheese slices on top of vegetable, and alongside of the fish.
- Sprinkle with chopped chives, and serve hot.