fresh lemon juice
fresh ginger, coarsely grated
- Using vegetable peeler, remove peel from 2 grapefruits (coloured part only) in long strips.
- Cut peel into fine julienne.
- Add peel to large pot of boiling water and cook 5 minutes.
- Drain, rinse under cold water, and drain again.
- Peel remaining grapefruit.
- Remove white pith from all the grapefruits.
- Working over large bowl to catch juice, cut between membrane of grapefruits with small sharp knife to release segments.
- Mix segments with grapefruit juice.
- Mix in lemon juice.
- Combine grapefruit mixture and 6 cups water in heavy, medium saucepan.
- Boil 30 minutes.
- Add sugar and peel and stir until sugar dissolves. (add optional ginger, if using, at this point).
- Continue boiling about 30 minutes, stirring frequently and reducing heat if necessary to prevent sticking.
- Check the marmalade at this point.
- Drop 1 tblsp of marmalade onto a chilled saucer and put in freezer.
- If it wrinkles when pushed after 2 minutes of cooling, then it is done.
- Mix in grenadine.
- Spoon hot marmalade into hot, sterilized jars, wiping rim of jar clean.
- Seal tightly.
- Cool to room temperature and refrigerate for up to 3 months.