red potatoes, unpeeled, very thinly sliced
( 2 lbs)
onions, halved and very thinly sliced
( I usually get tired of slicing and use 1 or 2 onions)
garlic cloves, minced
1 (28 ounce) cans
Tomatoes, drained and chopped
salt and pepper
1/2 cup romano cheese, freshly grated or 1/2 cup
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine potatoes, onion, garlic and tomatoes.
- Beat the tomato paste, olive oil, water, oregano, and salt and pepper together.
- Pour over vegetables and toss well to coat.
- Spread in a large, greased, shallow baking dish (like a large lasagna pan). The secret is to not have the vegetables too deep in the pan.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 45 more minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Sprinkle cheese over top the last 20 minutes of baking.