extra virgin olive oil
rib eye steaks, about 1 lb. each
fresh ground pepper
red onion, sliced
mixed wild mushroom, coarsely chopped
- Heat oven to 350°.
- Heat oil in large, heavy skillet over high heat; season steaks with 1/4 teaspoon each of the salt and pepper.
- Add steak to skillet and sear to brown one side, about 2 minutes; turn and brown the other side, 2 minutes; remove steaks to a shallow roasting pan; place in oven and roast until desired doneness, about 7 minutes for rare.
- Meanwhile, lower heat on skillet to medium-high and add onions, cook, stirring, until onions are lightly colored, about 4 minutes; add garlic and remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt and pepper; cook 1 minute; add mushrooms, cook, stirring often, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes.
- Add wine; heat to a boil; cook, stirring up bits on bottom of skillet, to reduce, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in butter; place steaks on serving plates; spoon mushrooms and sauce over the steaks.