yellow onion, finely chopped
green bell pepper, finely chopped
jalapeno, finely chopped
corn kernels, fresh or thawed frozen
tomatoes, peeled,seeded and chopped
cayenne pepper, to taste
1/2 teaspoon cajun seasoning or 1/2 teaspoon
creole seasoning, to taste
- Cook bacon in a frying pan until crisp.
- Drain on paper towels, crumble and set aside.
- Melt butter in the bacon fat over medium heat.
- Add onion, bell pepper, jalapeno and garlic, saute for 5 minutes or until onion has softened.
- Stir in corn, okra, tomatoes, cayenne and cajun seasoning, cook 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chick broth and bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low and cook partially covered for 45 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in crumbled bacon and serve.