1 (2 sheet) packages
frozen puff pastry
( I use Pepperidge Farms)
2 (3 ounce) packages
cream cheese, softened
1 (21 ounce) cans
apple pie filling
1 cup chopped pecans or 1 cup
granulated sugar or
- Thaw pastry sheets for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Beat together the cream cheese, 1/4 cup sugar, vanilla and egg yolk until well mixed.
- Set aside.
- Working with one sheet at a time, unfold thawed pastry on a lightly floured surface, creating 3 sections.
- Do not separate sections.
- Roll lightly to flatten.
- Using the tip of a sharp knife, make 10 parallel cuts in each of the two outer sections, cutting just to the fold line in the pastry.
- Spread 1/2 of the cream cheese mixture down the center section of the pastry.
- Arrange a layer of apple slices over the cream cheese.
- Sprinkle 1/2 of the nuts over the apple slices, and dust lightly with cinnamon.
- Starting at one end, fold pastry strips over the filling at an angle, alternating sides to create a"braided" appearance.
- Brush top with reserved egg white, and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Repeat above steps with remaining ingredients.
- Using 2 long spatulas, transfer pastries to a large, ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Slice to serve.