4 (8 ounce)
trout, cleaned,heads and tails on
salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Fry bacon in a large heavy skillet over medium heat until crisp and golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels and set aside, reserving bacon fat in pan.
- Rinse fish, then dredge in cornmeal and season both sides to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add vegetable oil to the bacon fat, then heat pan over medium high heat until oil is hot.
- Working in batches if necessary, fry fish in combined fat and oil on one side until skin is golden and crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Carefully turn fish over and cook other side for 5 minutes more.
- Serve garnished with bacon.