rutabaga, peeled, sliced
( apprx 6 cups or use a turnip)
apples, peeled, grated
pepper, fresh ground
1/8 teaspoon dried savory or 1/8 teaspoon
coarse fresh breadcrumb
- When you have peeled the rutabaga cut it in half lengthwise, then into quarters.
- Thinly slice each quarter crosswise and place in boiling water.
- Cover and cook apprx 10 minutes or until almost tender.
- Drain& set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk the cornstarch and water until smooth.
- Add Apples, salt, pepper& savory (thyme).
- Toss to coat the apples.
- Add Rutabagas& gently toss to mix all the ingredients.
- Pour into an 8" oven proof dish, cover and bake at 350F (180C) for 20 minutes Meanwhile in a bowl toss the bread crumbs, parsley& butter.
- Sprinkle the crumbs over the rutabagas (after their first 20 minute bake), return to the oven uncovered for a further 20 minutes or until the rutabagas are tender.
- Broil for a couple of minutes to allow the gratin to get golden.
- Serve hot.