- Macerate, i.e.soften, the cranberries by soaking in water (or rum to add a touch of flavor) for 20-30 minutes.
- Microwaving briefly might also work.
- Bring the cream cheese to room temperature (leave out or microwave 30-60 seconds) unless it's whipped.
- Make garlic into paste (squeeze out of skins and mash) Mix garlic paste and cranberries into cream cheese.
- Add salt and pepper to taste (those who prefer sweet to savory may also want to add a teaspoon of sugar or another sweetener).
- Refrigerate for at least two hours.
- Serve with crackers or in tea sandwiches.