onions, sliced 1/8 inch thick
red wine vinegar
salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Melt the butter in a large skillet, add the onions.
- Cover and cook over low heat 30 minutes.
- Remove cover, raise the heat, stirring to keep the onions from sticking.
- As soon as the onions begin to brown- in about 10 minutes- lower the heat.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Repeat step 2.
- Repeat step 3.
- Add the vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Turn the heat to high and stir with a wooden spoon until the vinegar is evaporated~ about 5 minutes.
- This dish can be made in advance.
- To reheat: cook over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Large, mild-flavored onions work best.
- Caramelized onions can be frozen in an airtight container up to three months.