onion, chopped coarsely
garlic cloves, mashed
stewing beef, cubed
( chuck or round)
1 (10 1/2 ounce) cans
condensed beef broth
( I have used 4 beef bouillon cubes dissoved in 1 1/4 cup boiling water for this)
1 1/2 tablespoons
salt and pepper
carrots, peeled and cut into bite-size chunks
celery ribs, trimmed and cut into bite-size chunks
1 (4 ounce) cans
pearl barley, cooked to package directions
- Heat olive oil in a large heavy pot.
- Saute chopped onion, mashed garlic and beef until beef is browned on all sides.
- Add beef broth, water, bay leaves, Worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer.
- Simmer 1 1/2 hours.
- Add carrots and celery and simmer an additional 30 minutes.
- You may have to add some more water at this point.
- Add mushrooms and cooked barley, simmer another 15 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves and serve.