beef stew meat
2 1/2 cups
vegetable juice cocktail
beef bouillon granules
garlic cloves, minced
dried basil, crushed
dried thyme, crushed
2 1/4 cups
cubed peeled potatoes
- Place flour and chili powder if using in a plastic bag.
- Add meat cubes a few at a time shaking to coat.
- Heat oil in large saucepan or skillet.
- Brown the meat in the hot oil.
- In the bottom of a crock pot layer onion, potatoes, carrots and celery.
- Sprinkle with the bouillon granules, garlic, basil and thyme.
- Top with the browned meat.
- Pour the vegetable juice cocktail over the meat.
- (When I use chili powder in the flour on the meat I use V-8 Picante).
- Cover; cook on low for 10-12 hours or until meat and veggies are tender.
- NOTE: This can be prepared on top of the stove also.
- Brown the meat as above, only leave the meat in the pan and top with 3 1/2 cups vegetable juice cocktail, onion, bouillon granules, garlic, basil, and thyme.
- Bring to boiling, reduce heat and cover.
- Simmer 1-1 1/4 hours or until meat is nearly tender.
- Add potatoes, carrots and celery.
- Cover; simmer 30 minutes more.