( skim is ok)
( light Cream or half and half is ok)
parmesan cheese, grated
salt & fresh ground pepper
sweet onions, coarsely chopped
bell peppers, julienned
( green, red, and yellow or any combination you prefer)
1 1/2-2 lbs
Italian sausages, cooked and cut in 1 inch pieces on the bias.
asparagus, cooked al dente
portabella mushroom, sliced and pre-sauteed
1 1/2 lbs
penne pasta, cooked per direction on package
( Mini-penne's are a good choice)
extra virgin olive oil
( or substitute basil and oregano)
salt and pepper
- In a large sauce pan melt butter over medium heat.
- Add minced garlic to sauce pan cook for a few minutes but do not brown.
- Whisk in the flour to make reux- cook for 3 to 5 minutes whisking constantly- do not let it brown.
- Whisk in milk and heat until boiling- whisk often, add some fresh ground pepper.
- Once sauce is thickened remove from heat and set aside (well get back to the this later).
- In a large frying pan over medium-high heat add 3 Tbs olive oil add onions and slice the remaining garlic into pan sautee for 3 minutes until onion starts to soften.
- Add peppers, Italian seasoning cook for 5 minutes until Peppers begin to soften.
- Add cooked Sausage and warm through.
- Just before vegetable and meat mixture is finished- heat White sauce and stir in the cream, bring up to almost a boil and stir in parmesean and gorgonzola.
- Stir sauce until most of the gorgonzola is incorportated (lumps of cheese left in the sauce is a good thing!).
- Check cream sauce for salt add if necessary.
- In pasta bowls place Penne followed by Pepper onion meat mixture, then spoon on the Gorgonzola sauce, arrange mushrooms and asparagas on top.