dried ancho peppers
1 habanero peppers (optional) or 1
scotch bonnet pepper, seeded and deveined
4 -5 lbs
short rib of beef
cracked black pepper
garlic cloves, peeled
fresh lemon juice
1 (15 1/2 ounce) cans
whole tomatoes, undrained
- Toast cumin seeds in a dry skillet until fragrant and allow to cool.
- Grind cumin seeds in a mortar or spice mill.
- Toast ancho chiles in a hot dry skillet until aromatic, about 30 seconds per side.
- Soak anchos in warm water, submerged, for about 30 minutes, or until soft.
- Remove anchos from liquid (discarding liquid), remove stems and seeds and discard; and cut anchos into small pieces.
- Season ribs with cracked pepper and brown ribs on both sides in a skillet or under the broiler.
- Place garlic, salt, lemon juice, tomatoes (with their juice), ancho chiles, habanero chile, and ground cumin seeds in a blender or food processor and process until smooth.
- Place ribs in the crock pot and cover with sauce.
- Cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours or on high for 5-6 hours or until ribs are tender.