1/4 cup chopped green bell peppers or 1/4 cup
red bell pepper
butter, cut into bits
dried basil, crumbled
dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- Position rack in the center of the oven.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix together Dijon mustard, basil and honey.
- Smear the chicken with this mixture.
- Arrange chicken, skin side down, in a shallow roasting pan or baking dish just large enough to hold it in a single layer.
- Sprinkle the pieces with finely chopped onions, bell peppers, butter, salt and freshly-ground pepper to taste and 1/2 tsp each of cinnamon and paprika.
- Pour orange and pineapple juice around the chicken.
- Bake, basting once, for 30 minutes.
- Turn the chicken skin side up, season with salt and pepper, 1/2 tsp each of cinnamon and paprika, and all of brown sugar.
- Bake until the chicken is tender and golden, about 20 minutes longer.
- Add more orange juice or pineapple juice if the pan seems dry.
- Pour the juice into a small saucepan and boil over high heat until it becomes syrupy.
- Spoon the sauce over the chicken and serve.