( I use a sirloin roast for less fat, but you can use chuck roast)
fresh lime juice
fresh lemon juice
garlic, finely minced
onion, thinly sliced
fresh parsley, as desired
- Simmer roast with bay leaves in a Dutch oven on the stove until tender, about 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
- Cool at room temperature; reserve cooking water for another use if you wish.
- When beef is cool, shred and place in a glass container.
- Combine lime juice, lemon juice and garlic; mix into meat.
- Season with salt and pepper and marinate overnight.
- (The sirloin roast is excellent at"soaking up" the juices!) Next day, remove meat from marinade, squeezing excess liquid (if you need to; I normally don't) and fry in a large skillet in olive oil until slightly brown, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add thin onion slices and parsley and cook for another 10 to 15 minutes, until onion is tender and meat is well-browned.
- Squeeze more lime juice on meat and serve over rice.