3 1/2 lbs
meaty chicken pieces
( breast bhalves, thighls, and drumsticks)
salt and black pepper
1 1/3 cups
( if you dont have lemon thyme, use 1 1/§ cup fresh thyme plus 2 teaspoons findly shredded lemon peel)
salted pistachio nut
fresh ground black pepper
- If desired, skin chicken.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- In a food processor or blender combine lemon thyme and pistachio nuts; cover and process or blend with several on/off turns until finely chopped.
- With procesor or blender running, gradually drizzle in oil, stopping to scrape down sides as necessary.
- Stir in freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Set aside.
- For a charcoal grill, arrange medium hot coals around a drip pan.
- Test for medium heat above pan.
- Place chicken, bone side down, on a grill rack over drip pan.
- For gas grill place chicken adjacent to heat source.
- Cover and grill for 50 to 60 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink (instant read thermometer reads 180°C for breasts or 180°C for thighs and drumsticks), turning chicken and brushing with half the pesto during the last 5 minutes of grillling.
- Reserve remaining pesto for another use.
- Serve with lemon wedges.