bakery white bread, sliced to 1 inch thickness
real maple syrup
unsalted butter, for cooking
fresh berries, for serving
confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- First allow your sliced bread to sit at room temperature for approximately 1 hour to allow the surfaces to dry out.
- In a wide bowl, beat your eggs with your maple syrup until the mixture is slightly thickened.
- Beat in the milk, vanilla, nutmeg and salt.
- Place your bread slices in the mixture and allow them to soak in the mixture for approximately 5 minutes until saturated well.
- Next you will want to preheat your skillet over medium heat and add 2 Tablespoons of butter.
- Once your butter has melted reduce your heat to medium-low and saute bread slices for about 5-6 minutes per side, making sure that you flip each slice over every 2 minutes or so to make sure that they brown evenly.
- You may have to cook in 2 batches if you use a smaller skillet.
- Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar, and place random berries around the plate for a nice look and tasty meal.