sweet unsalted butter
ground cinnamon, to taste
( she said 2 dashes)
unsweetened cocoa powder
finely ground hazelnuts
nutella chocolate hazelnut spread, approximately
bittersweet chocolate, more as needed
( such as Lindt brand)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Have ready a pastry bag with an small round opening tip or ziploc type baggie and some scissors to snip off the end (once filled with dough).
- Cream butter until smooth and creamy.
- Add powdered sugar, vanilla sugar, egg yolks, and cinnamon and mix until well blended.
- Add flour, baking powder, and cocoa powder by spoonfuls (using an ordinary large soup spoon), until just mixed inches.
- Stir in the ground hazelnuts.
- Fill pastry bag and squeeze about 1 1/2" long sticks onto the lined baking sheets (or you can squirt out round drops).
- Bake at 350°F for about 8-10 minutes.
- Let cool on wire racks.
- When cool, use an icing spatula to spread some Nutella on a cookie (bottoms inward), then stick another cookie to it making a sandwich.
- Optional decorative step:Melt bittersweet chocolate& shortening together in a double boiler and dip one end of each cookie sandwich into the melted chocolate.
- Let cool on wax paper until chocolate is hardened.