onions, thinly sliced
( or more to taste, I prefer more)
( I like lots!)
- Soak lentils in water for 3 hours; drain.
- Soak rice in water for 1/2 hour; drain.
- Saute onions in a large skillet for about 15 minutes, or until very brown and crisp.
- Remove onions to a plate lined with paper towels to drain.
- Turn heat to medium-high and add lentils and rice to skillet; saute quickly in the browned-onion-flavored oil, adding cumin, salt and pepper.
- Add 3 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Cover very tightly and then cook on very low heat for about 20 to 25 minutes.
- To serve, fluff up rice and lentils and top with the crispy browned onions.