onion, finely diced
chorizo sausage, peeled,quartered,sliced finely
( about 100g)
( I used lamb)
( I used vermouth)
1 (250 g) jars
2 (440 g) cans
chopped peeled tomatoes
( pumpkin spice is similar)
chopped fresh parsley
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes, or until it softens.
- Add the garlic and saute for a further 5 minutes-don't allow to burn.
- Add the sliced chorizo, and cook for a couple of minutes, until the fat starts to run.
- Now add the meat and brown really well.
- I've learned to do this (thanks Evelyn/Athens) over about 15 minutes to get a really good flavour, so be patient.
- At this stage, I drain all the fat and oil off that I can.
- Pour in the wine, and cook for a couple of minutes, then add the tomato paste, and cook a couple of minutes more.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, water, herbs, mixed spice and celery salt and bring to the boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, and cook gently for about 2 hours uncovered, stirring occasionally and making sure not too much water has evaporated or that the dish is sticking.
- Stir through the parsley before serving over pasta of your choice.