unsweetened chocolate, chopped
semisweet chocolate, chopped
unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
1 1/2 cups
1 1/2 tablespoons
instant espresso powder
semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Place a metal bowl over a saucepan of barely simmering water and add the first three ingredients.
- Cook over low heat, stirring, until they are almost melted, then remove from heat.
- Continue to stir until they have all melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl.
- In another large bowl, beat together the eggs and sugar, using a mixer, for approximately 10 minutes.
- Add the espresso power if using (I like these better without), also the vanilla, and beat for 2 additional minutes.
- Stir in the melted chocolate until it is evenly mixed, then add the flour/baking powder/salt mixture.
- When that is smooth, fold in the chocolate chips.
- Refrigerate the batter for 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line your cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Drop chilled batter by heaping tablespoonfuls onto the parchment lined cookie sheets about 2-inches apart.
- Bake cookies, one baking sheet at a time, for approximately 8-10 minutes.
- When done, cookies may appear cracked and shiny on top.
- Allow cookies to rest for a few minutes, the place on a cookie rack to complete cooling.
- Store any cooking you are not eating right away in the freezer or refrigerator, not the cookie jar.