1 (7.08 g) package
active dry yeast
sifted flour, divided
eggs, lightly beaten
- Combine yeast and warm water in two cup liquid measuring cup and let stand 5 minutes.
- Combine 4 cups of sifted flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl.
- Stir in yeast mixture and shortening.
- Add eggs and remaining 1 cup of flour and stir vigorously until well blended.
- Dough will be soft and sticky.
- Brush dough with some of the melted butter and cover loosely.
- Let rise in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours or until doubled in bulk.
- Grease four 8" round cake pans and set aside.
- Sift 3/4 cup of flour in a thick layer evenly over work surface.
- Turn dough out onto surface; it will be soft.
- Sift 1/2 cup of flour evenly over dough.
- Roll dough to 1/2" thickness and brush off excess flour.
- Cut out dough using a floured 2" biscuit cutter.
- Pull each round into an oval, approximately 2 1/2" long.
- Dip one side of oval into melted butter and fold oval in half with buttered side facing out.
- For each pan, place the fold side of 10 rolls against the side of the pan, pressing center fronts of rolls together gently to seal.
- Place 5 rolls in inner circle and 1 in the middle for a total of 16 rolls per pan.
- Cover loosely and let rise in warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 400° and bake rolls uncovered for 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned.