white bread, edges trimmed and the bread cut into 1/2 inch/ 1 cm cubes
2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons
pure wesson canola oil
garlic, peeled,washed and crushed
dried rosemary, crushed
- Trim the crusts from the slices of bread.
- Cut into 1/2 inch (1cm) cubes.
- Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet or frying pan on moderately low flame.
- While the oil is heating, crush the clove of garlic and rosemary, separately, using your mortar and pestle.
- You can also crumble the rosemary between the palms of your hands if you like.
- I personally like to crush it to bring out the flavour to the fullest.
- Now, add the crushed garlic to the moderately hot oil and cook for a minute, stirring continuously until it is golden.
- Remove the garlic.
- Toss in the bread cubes and crushed/crumbled rosemary.
- Cook these awesome croutons, tossing lightly, until they are lightly browned all over.
- Sprinkle with salt to taste.
- Remove from the skillet or pan and transfer onto paper towels to drain.
- Serve over soup (if they last that long!).