sifted all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups
- Sift flour with baking powder, soda, salt and nutmeg; set aside.
- In large bowl of electric mixer, at medium speed, beat butter and sugar until combined then beat in sour cream, egg and vanilla until smooth.
- Gradually add flour mixture, beating until well combined.
- With rubber scraper, form dough into a ball.
- Wrap in waxed paper, plastic wrap, or foil; refrigerate overnight or several hours.
- Divide dough into four parts.
- Refrigerate until ready to roll out.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly grease cookie sheets.
- On well-floured surface roll dough, one part at a time, 1/4 inch thick.
- With floured, 2 1/2 inch round or scalloped cookie cutter, cut out cookies.
- Using spatula, place 2 inches apart on cookie sheets.
- Sprinkle tops of cookies with sugar.
- Place a raisin or almond in the center of each, if desired.
- Reroll trimmings, and cut.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden (be careful, they burn easily).