4 -4 1/2 cups
unbleached all-purpose flour
2 (1/4 ounce) package
active dry yeast
1/3 cup margarine or 1/3 cup
1/4 cup margarine or 1/4 cup
( not the miniature ones)
- In a large bowl combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 1/4 cup sugar, salt and yeast; blend well.
- In small saucepan, combine milk, water and 1/3 cup margarine or butter until very warm.
- Add warm liquid and egg to flour mixture.
- Blend at low speed until moistened and well blended.
- Stir in an additional 2 to 2 1/4 cups flour until dough pulls cleanly away from the sides of the bowl.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead in 1/2 to 3/4 cups flour until dough is smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
- Place dough in large, well greased bowl, cover loosely with plastic wrap and cloth towel.
- Let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 45 to 60 minutes.
- Generously grease 24 muffin cups.
- Punch down dough several times to remove air bubbles.
- Divide dough in half.
- Roll each half into 12 inch by 9 inch rectangle.
- Cut each half into twelve 3-inch squares.
- In a small bowl combine 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon, blend well.
- Dip each marshmallow into melted margarine or butter and then roll in sugar-cinnamon mixture.
- Place each marshmallow in the center of a dough square.
- Bring the corners of the dough square up and around the marshmallow to completely seal.
- Place seam side down in prepared muffin cups.
- Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Bake about 20 minutes or until golden brown in color.
- Remove from muffin cups immediately.
- Brush tops with melted butter and dip in sugar.
- Serve warm or cold.