lamb shanks, about 3 kg
plain flour, to toss shanks in
sun-dried tomato, drained of oil
1 1/2 cups
good dry red wine
3 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley or 3 tablespoons
( or both)
- Toss the lamb in the flour and shake away any excess.
- Heat the oil in a large baking dish and add the lamb in batches and cook until browned all over, drain on paper towel.
- Return the lamb to the dish and add onions, garlic, tomatoes, port, wine and stock, cover and bake in a moderate oven (180D C- 350d F) for about 2 hours until the lamb is tender.
- Remove the lamb from the dish and keep warm and simmer the pan juices over medium heat until slightly thickened.
- Serve the lamb with the pan juices and sprinkle over the parsley or basil.