pumpkin pie spice
unsalted butter, room temperature
canned pumpkin puree
dried sweetened cranberries
( I plan to use fresh.)
coarsely chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter 9 1/4x5 1/4x3-inch loaf pan.
- Line bottom and 2 long sides with waxed paper.
- Whisk flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in medium bowl to blend.
- Using electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl until fluffy.
- Gradually add 1 cup sugar, beating until blended.
- Beat in eggs, 1 at a time.
- Beat in pumpkin, then vanilla.
- Beat in dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk in 2 additions each.
- Fold in cranberries and nuts.
- Transfer batter to pan.
- Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Bake bread until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour 10 minutes.
- Cool bread in pan on rack 15 minutes.
- Cut around bread at short ends to loosen from pan.
- Turn bread out onto rack; peel off waxed paper.
- Cool bread completely.
- (Can be made 2 days ahead. Wrap and store at room temperature.).