cannellini beans, cooked
extra virgin olive oil
crushed red pepper flakes
( or to taste)
fresh basil leaves, shredded or chiffonade
1 -2 clove
garlic, thinly sliced
salt & fresh ground pepper, to taste
crusty Italian bread, cut into 1 inch thick slices
more olive oil, to dress the bread
garlic, to dress the bread
- Preheat grill pan or broiler.
- In a bowl, gently combine the beans, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, red pepper, basil and garlic.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- It's nice if the mixture can sit for a half an hour or so.
- For the bread: I usually warm a clove or two of chopped garlic in some olive oil to infuse the flavor.
- This can be done on the stovetop over VERY low heat, or in the microwave heated for about 30 seconds.
- Add a couple shakes of salt and pepper, and brush garlic oil evenly over the bread slices.
- Toast bread under the broiler, or on a grill pan for a few minutes (3-5), until slightly brown and crisp, or until there are grill marks.
- Top the bread slices with the bean mixture and drizzle any extra balsamic/oil over the top.
- This bruschetta is nice served with a tossed green salad.