crushed roma tomato
4 -6 cloves
baby carrots, chopped
fresh ground black pepper
- (Gallon cans of Tomatoes are available at small restaurant supplys that are "wholesale, open to the public" They will cost a lot less than retail.) Place Tomatoes in pot set on high.
- Heat a large pan over med-high heat, add Oil.
- Saute (stir fry) Onions for 5 min.
- Add Garlic, Celery, Carrots, and Bay leaves saute for another 5-10 min. 'til tender. Add to pot.
- Salt and Pepper 'til it's almost "right", stir well, cover.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for 5-6 hours.
- Remove Bay leaves and adjust seasoning.
- If it is too acidic add Butter, 1 TBS at a time, stir well and retaste.
- Continue to add, stir, and taste'til it's to your liking. This is much better than adding sugar!
- Ladle a blender 3/4 full, Process 'til smooth.
- Pour into a large bowl and continue with remaining sauce.
- This sauce will be about the consistency of store bought.
- If you wish it thicker, return to pot and cook on low, uncovered, stirring frequintly to keep the surface from turning dark.
- When satisfied allow to cool completely, ladle 2 cup servings into plastic freezer bags.
- Frozen it will keep up to 6 months. (I don't know if this is true, I've never kept any that long.).