lean ground beef
1 (35.43 g) package
taco seasoning mix
1 (538.64 g) can
1 (425.24-453.59 g)jar
shredded cheddar cheese
- Combine beef, onion, seasoning mix and egg in a large bowl.
- Add rice and mix well.
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise; remove seeds and membrane.
- Spread tomatoes on the bottom of an ovenproof 12 X 9 inch baking dish. The liquid from the tomatoes will reduce during cooking so if (like me) you like lots of sauce, add about a cup of water. This also helps make the peppers softer.
- Place peppers, cut side up, on top of the tomatoes.
- Spoon beef mixture into peppers, mounding as necessary.
- Top each pepper with salsa.
- Bake in preheated 375°F oven for 40-45 minutes or until beef is cooked thoroughly and peppers are soft.
- Cover each pepper with cheese and return to oven, under the broiler, until the cheese melts- less than a minute, so watch carefully!
- Serve with sour cream and additional salsa.