shortbread cookies, crushed
toasted finely crushed almonds
unsalted butter, melted
2 (8 ounce) packages
cream cheese, at room temperature
packed light brown sugar
fresh pumpkin puree
egg whites, yolks separated
cream of tartar
1 1/2 teaspoons
1/2 cup sour cream or 1/2 cup
2 tablespoons Amaretto or 1 teaspoon
fresh grated nutmeg, garnish
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a 10-inch greased springform pan, mix cookie crumbs, almonds, and melted butter.
- Using your clean fingers, press the mixture evenly onto the bottom and sides of the pan. Or better yet use a metal 1 cup measuring cup and press the crumbs evenly among the bottom and part way up the sides.
- Refrigerate till ready to fill.
- In a large bowl using electric mixer (or place directly in a food processor) whip cream cheese until smooth.
- Add in brown sugar blending until thoroughly mixed.
- Add pumpkin and add the 2 eggs one at a time, then the yolks, blending after each addition until smooth.
- Add cinnamon, nutmeg, flour, Amaretto and sour cream, pulse to blend.
- In a clean bowl beat egg whites and cream of tartar at high speed till soft peaks form.
- Fold the egg whites into the cheese mixture.
- Pour mixture into prepared crust.
- Set springform on a cookie sheet.A must.
- Bake 1 - 1 1/2 hours, till center is almost set and jiggles slightly.
- Turn off oven let cake stay in oven with oven door propped open about 8 inches.
- Till bottom and sides are completely cooled.
- Remove from oven, chill uncovered overnight in the refrigerator.
- Remove sides of pan.
- Beat cream, almond extract and sugar at high speed until soft peeks form.
- Then spread on chilled cake just before serving and sprinkle nutmeg on top.