celery, coarsely chopped
carrots, coarsely chopped
onions, coarsely chopped
leeks, white part only,sliced
frozen apple juice concentrate
4 ounces water or 4 ounces
2 ounces lemon juice or 2 ounces
- In the bottom of a roasting pan large enough to hold the turkey, combine celery, carrots and onions.
- In a small bowl combine fennel (if using), leeks, sliced orange and basil.
- Toss to mix.
- Place mixture in cavity of turkey.
- Place turkey on top of vegetables or on a rack over vegetables to cook.
- Make glaze: In a small bowl combine apple juice concentrate, water, orange juice, lemon or lime juice and soy sauce.
- Set aside.
- Place turkey in a preheated 400* oven 1/2 hour, then lower temperature to 350* and cook 2 to 2 1/2 hours, or until an internal temperature of 180* to 185* is reached.
- After first half hour of cooking, baste bird every 10 to 15 minutes with glaze mixture.
- Remove turkey from oven and allow it to rest 20 minutes before carving.
- While turkey is resting, pour off all pan juices into a"de-fatting cup" and allow juices to separate from fat.
- When separated, carefully pour into a serving pitcher or gravy boat.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Place turkey on a platter for carving.
- Note: Removal of all skin before serving will lower fat content of each portion.
- Makes 12 servings.