2 1/2 cups
zucchini, sliced lengthwise 1/4 inch thick
( about 2 medium)
lean ground beef
( I use 1 lb.)
tomatoes, cut up
1 (6 ounce) cans
garlic clove, minced
low fat cottage cheese
( or low fat or fat free ricotta)
mozzarella cheese, shredded
( I use 8 oz. divided)
- Cook zucchini until tender, drain and set aside. Fry meat and onions until meat is brown and onions are tender; drain fat. Add next 8 ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered 10 minutes or until reduced to 2 cups.
- In small bowl slightly beat egg.
- Add cottage cheese, half of shredded cheese and flour.
- In (1 1/2-qt.) baking-roasting pan arrange half of the meat mixture. Top with half of the zucchini and all the cottage cheese mixture. Top with remaining meat and zucchini.
- Bake uncovered at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 10 minutes longer.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.