2 1/4 cups
lemon, zest of, finely grated
cold butter, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
a little extra milk
sugar, for glaze
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly oil a large baking sheet and set aside.
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg together into a large bowl; add lemon zest.
- Add butter and cut into the dry ingredients with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; gently mix in blueberries.
- In a small bowl, whisk together sour cream, milk, egg yolk, and lemon extract.
- Make a well in the dry mixture and add liquid all at once.
- Stir with wooden spoon just until dough pulls together; let rest for 3 minutes.
- Scrape dough onto a floured work surface.
- Using floured hands, gently knead dough 4 or 5 times into a ball.
- Pat the dough out into an 8-inch circle.
- Slice dough into 8 wedges, as you would a pie.
- Brush each with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Reassemble the wedges on prepared baking sheet, leaving about 1/2 inch between pieces.
- Bake until golden brown and crusty, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer scones to wire rack.
- These are best served warm, or at least within an hour of baking.